Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hello, Cruel World

I borrowed Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks & Other Outlaws by Kate Bornstein from the library out of curiousity. Yes, I've been suicidal before. No, I wasn't went I borrowed it. I hung onto it for a couple months (see, that hoarding), always intending to read it, but not doing it. Finally, about a month and a half ago, I was feeling pretty bad--not suicidal, but probably not too far off either. And I started to read it. I read it in two nights. It made me cry. It's such a wonderful book and it's not all about how not to commit suicide. It's about things to do when you feel bad and accepting yourself and not feeling alone. I now adore Kate Bornstein (okay, so I kinda did before, but this made it better!).

Since I read this book (and took it to therapy with me to show my therapist), I've been looking for a copy for myself. I needed one--there are places I have to highlight and post-it note and bookmark. I ordered it from amazon.com right after that therapy session I mentioned, thinking that amazon is pretty good at getting things to me quickly. Nope, amazon said 4-6 weeks (I swear, when I ordered it, they said in stock). So I went to every Borders in the area (Arborland, downtown, even Brighton)--nothing. I went to Shaman Drum. Nothing. Shaman Drum was helpful, though, they said that it looked like the book sold out of its first printing and no warehouses have it in stock. I was sad. I NEEDED this book. But I hung in there, thinking amazon would come through after 4-6 weeks.

It's been 4-6 weeks. Amazon is sending the rest of my order (FINALLY!), but no Hello, Cruel World. The new estimate is late May!!

Well, I had an ill-fated drive up to Flint tonight for some recruiting (I got stuck in bad traffic, then couldn't find the place) and on my way home, I decided to treat myself and stopped at the new shopping complex a couple exits north of my home exit. There's a Johnny Carino's there and a B&N. I thought, well, I haven't tried this B&N, so I'll look. Can you believe they had FIVE copies??? So, I bought it, but now it's too late to cancel the one from amazon. *laughs* I'm gonna end up with two copies of this amazing book. And you know what? That's okay. :)

Once I start rereading, I'll post some quotes. I can't recommend this book enough. Pick it up, even if you're not suicidal and if you are, it's a must.

No comments: