Saturday, February 9, 2008

Rediscovered quotes

While putting together a birthday present for a friend, I found some good quotes that I wanted to share.

'Controversial,' as we all know, is often a euphemism for 'interesting and intelligent.'
--Kevin Smith


"Isn't it odd how much fatter a book gets when you've read it several times?" Mo had said..."As if something were left between the pages every time you read it. Feelings, thoughts, soungs, smells...and then, when you look at the book again many years later, you find yourself there, too, a slightly younger self, slightly different, as if the book had preserved you like a pressed flower...both strange and familiar."
--from Inkspell by Cornelia Funke


...all the books we own, both read and unread, are t he fullest expression of self we have at our disposal. ... But with each passing year, and with each whimsical purchase our libraries become more and more able to articulate who we are, whether we read the books or not.
--Nick Hornby from The Polysyllabic Spree


"This is how it works. I love the people in my life, and I do for my friends whatever they need me to do for them, again and again, as many times as is necessary. For example, in your case you always forgot who you are and how much you're loved. So what I do for you as your friend is remind you who you are and tell you how much I love you. And this isn't any kind of burden for me, because I love who you are very much. Every time I remind you, I get to remember with you, which is my pleasure."
--James Lecesne from "My Best Girlfriend"


Consider pain to be a form of emotional energy that, like any other form of energy, can neither be created nor destroyed. The act of suicide, rather than acting as an end to that pain, instead acts as a conductor. The pain follows the path of least resistance to those who were closest to you at the time, like a bolt of lightning striking a tree during a storm.
--Kaitlyn Tierney Duggan from "Hatchback"

No comments: