Sunday, February 3, 2008

Poems & quotes

Poems from two of the books I read yesterday and a quote from a book I read last week...

In the Morning

there's
this golden moment
when the sun
licks through the gauze
fluttering at my window
warming my eyelids to opening

this golden moment
when I'm not yet awake enough
to remember
that there are things
I would rather
forget
--Sonya Sones


God Got a Dog

He never meant to.
He liked dogs, He'd
liked them ever since He was a kid,
but He didn't think
He had time for a dog now.
He was always working
and dogs needed so
much attention.
God didn't know if He
could like being needed
by one more thing.
But He saw this dog
out by the tracks
and it was hungry
and cold
and lonely
and God realized
He'd made that dog
somehow,
somehow He was responsible
though He knows logically
that He had only set the
world on its course.
He couldn't be blamed
for everything.
But He saw this dog
and He felt bad
so He took it on home
and named it Ernie
and now God
has somebody
keeping His feet warm at night.
--Cynthia Rylant



Love and I once had a great relationship, but I fear we've broken up. It cheated on me, wrecked my heart, and then went on to date other people. A lot of other people. And I can't stand to watch it, since love's going to cheat on them too.
--David Levithan from Marly's Ghost

No comments: