Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What It Is by Lynda Barry

I've always liked Lynda Barry. And her newest book is the best yet. It's a book about writing, but it's all these drawings and collages and she tells her own personal stories too. I love it. Maybe what I liked best were the questions she asks in her collages at times. Here are my favorites.

What is the difference between imagination and memory? Which is stronger?

To follow a wandering mind means having to get lost. Can you stand being lost?

Is reminded the same as remembered?

What is the difference between lying and pretending? There is no lie in pretending.

And a favorite quote:
I believe there is something in these old stories that does what singing does to words. They have transformational capabilities, in the way melody can transform mood. They can't transform your actual situation, but they can transform your experience of it. We don't create a fantasy world to escape reality, we create it to be able to stay. I believe we have always done this, used images to stand and understand what otherwise would be intolerable.

Cool book. You should check it out.

No comments: